Welcome to UKMFH
Victoria Cross Medals, 1857-2007
British Newspaper Archive from Genes Reunited.co.uk
Army List 1787, Army List 1798 and Army List August 1878
New Military Collections July 2010
Chelsea Pensioners 1760-1913
British Army WWI Medal
Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Military Records 1656 - 1994
Migration Records 1793 - 1960
British Army WW1 Records
British Army WWI
Pension Records 1914-1920
British Army WWI
Service Records, 1914-1920
This site provides 1503 links to web sites that offer online information in a wide range of categories to help you with your Military Family History research. New links are added regularly.
During 2014, the 100th anniversary of World War 1, the UKMFH team will be adding as many links as we can to websites covering the many aspects of this war. If you know of any websites on these topics which we do not link to yet, please let us know.
UKMFH and UKGDL are on Facebook.
UKMFH aims to help you find out the history of your military family by linking to web sites that have online information which will help you discover what your families did and how they lived in their military life.
Muster rolls, discharge papers, pension records are all valuable sources of information which can help you complete your family tree – many are now listed under UKMFH's menus along with a whole range of other types of records.
This is a free to use web site but please note that some of the web sites that are linked to are subscription based or charge per view.
What's on this site ?From the menu buttons on the left you can access:
- Miscellany - To list all the web sites with information related to military family research which is not specific to individuals, e.g. descriptions of medals and uniform. etc.
- Category - To list all the web sites for a particular category, e.g. RAF, Navy, Army, Service Records, Photographs, War Diaries etc.
- County - To list all the known MFH web sites for a particular county (or country), use this option, remembering to first select a county from the drop-down list. Note: the counties refer to the pre-1974 UK counties. For information about the county boundary changes see the Local Government Changes page within GENUKI.
- Keyword - Advanced Keyword Search. The Category and County pages provide an easy and effective means of finding links specific to many major topics of Military Family History, but they really cannot do justice to the vast range of subjects that are covered. So, the Keyword page allows you to fine-tune your searches by selecting one or more keywords from a vast list.
- Museums - To list links to museum web sites that are specfic to the military theme.
- Books - To list links to web sites that offer a good selection of books and other media for sale on topics related to military family history and the military in general.
- British Abroad - Links to web sites with information about the British living and posted abroad.
- Events - A list of Family History Fairs and Events where UKBMD, UKGDL & UKMFH will be represented.
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions and their answers.
- Contact - information about how to contact us and provide feedback - especially if you can provide information about sites not listed here.
- About Us - brief history about who we are and how we came to be here.
- Register - subscribe to the UKMFH Mailing list for update announcements about this site.
- Site Map - A comprehensive set of links to all the pages of this web site.